Pictures of Endangered Goodman Miami Care-Free Home

Miami Alcoa Care-free Carport

I recently posted about the Alcoa Care-free Home by Charles Goodman that is is for sale in Miami. The listing has no real images of the house, making clear that the property is being marketed for the land. Modern Capital readers who used to live in Hollin Hills and now live in Miami stopped by the house to investigate after reading my post. As you can see from the images from Randall and Tami, the exterior of the house was painted white, including the purple exterior panels and light brick. Randall and Tami are reaching out to Dade Heritage Trust to make sure the group knows the history and significance of the house. Anyone looking for a mid-century modern home in Florida to restore? If so, please take a look at this Alcoa Care-free. As the original brochure says: “Whether you plan to build, buy or remodel, Alcoa aluminium can make living Care-free for you.” Hopefully, Goodman’s design will get more attention this year when Steve’s Rochester Care-free will be featured in the new book Atomic Ranch Midcentury Interiors.

Miami Alcoa Care-free

The whole house, including the brick has been painted white.

Miami Alcoa Care-free

The original windows grills look to be intact but need freshening.

Alcoa Care-free grills

Miami Alcoa Care-free

The terrace between the house and carport.

Miami Alcoa Care-free

View of the house from the carport.

Miami Alcoa Care-free

The living room.

Miami Alcoa Care-free Kitchen

The kitchen, like the rest of the house, needs to be restored.

Post Metadata

Date
February 5th, 2012

Author
Mid-Century Mike

Tags

8 to “Pictures of Endangered Goodman Miami Care-Free Home”

1. Lori M. Connelly says:

Mike,

Thank you for posting this. This is a gorgeous house. Awareness is the first step in saving this structure. My husband and I, who live in Hollin Hills would like to thank you and Randall and Tami for getting these images out there.

Lori M. Connelly

2. Steve says:

Nice house, waaaayyy too much white, and you are right, kitchen needs renovation. I hope it survives. The one in Minnesota is being tastefully renovated

3. Sharon says:

I am shopping for a home in the Miami area and came upon this house. With the help of your website and subsequent more research, my husband and I are in love with what this house once was and can be (refer to Rochester Alcoa carefree home). We love the neighborhood and would love to restore this home. We sent a contractor to evaluate its renovation and the cost is not the huge issue but the house structure and frame itself is the problem. The aluminum frame that is the essence of Goodman’s Alcoa carefree home is woefully fragile in the hurricane zone that is South Florida. I am investigating further because I really want to buy and restore but I suspect the limited info from realtor and owner tells me the house is no longer within building codes since hurricane Andrew drastically changed those codes.

4. Sharon,

Thanks so much for your email and your interest in saving the house. Please update us on your efforts to determine if the house can be saved or not.

5. Lissa says:

How this makes my heart ache. Cypress paneling and teak ceilings painted white? People are just painfully clueless.

I own the Care Free Home in Grand Rapids, MI, which has been, thankfully, perfectly preserved per its original state. I hope someone can rescue this diamond in the rough and restore it! It is a wonderful home and we wouldn’t trade ours for anything. As a side note – who puts a shitty DIY 1980′s white kitchen spectacular into a Charles Goodman Modern??? Gross.

6. MiMo Penny says:

I frequently drive by this home and am anxious that someone (current or future owner) will not realize what they are looking at and will tear it down. As a native of Miami, I have seen many architectural wonders bulldozed and replaced by soullesss boxes that I will affectionately refer to as “McMansions.” The landscape that was South Florida in the ’50′s and ’60′s is disappearing. Mid-century Modern and Atomic Ranch homes are being demolished for land or morphed into “Mediterranean Palazzos” with 3-car garages. Interest in and funding for historical organizations, such as Dade Heritage Trust, is limited in our area. That this property is a one-of-its-kind in Miami-Dade County is both its blessing (perfect for our sunshine) and its undoing (not hurricane-resistant).

This inquiry is for Sharon in Miami, who posted on Feb. 27, 2012. Have you learned any further information about the house?

7. MiMo Penny says:

An update for the Miami Alcoa. The home was purchased approx. 2 weeks ago, reportedly by an architect. My hope is that he will be able to restore the home. I have offered him, through contact with the selling real estate agent, all information I have gathered in hopes of a proper restoration. The status of this home has not yet changed from “endangered” and I will keep checking.

8. Thanks Penny. I will be done there this week. May see if I can check it out.